One of the things that has come along with having a baby in our house is much more stuff. This has led to more clutter and usually more of a mess!
I am the type of person who thinks organizing is fun. Just ask my family, I liked to organize my sister’s closet growing up and spent hours organizing our family photos into scrapbooks for my, my sister’s and my brother’s high school graduation parties. Typically I like to keep our house pretty organized and clean, but I have to admit that some of that has been lost with the addition of a baby to our home.
We now more typically have a floor full of toys and a sink full of dishes and bottles. We usually pick up everything each night before bed, but there are some nights when we are just too tired to do it and leave it until the next day! There is always time for cleaning and I want to spend most of my time making memories and playing with Wynn rather than keeping a tidy house every second of the day.
Now that Wynn is crawling and starting to figure out how to open drawers and cabinets, our house can look like a tornado passed through it! I still cringe sometimes when he pulls the magazines off the coffee table for the thousandth time, smears his sticky hands on the couch after eating a graham cracker or reaches to unroll the toilet paper, but I know for him it is all about exploring his world. I would much rather have my kids remember me as a mom who got on the floor and played with them than a mom that was constantly worried about picking up their messes behind them. My best guess is that they will not remember if our house was spotless, but will remember if I gave them my undivided attention and played with them!
Don't worry, I do still get to indulge my organizing habits by re-stacking Wynn’s blocks and stacking cups in order of color and his books on the bookshelf in order of height. We also splurged on a fancy new Dyson vacuum once Wynn started crawling. Anything to make that chore more enjoyable is worth it in my book!
So when you enter the Weiland abode, don’t be surprised if you find things a little out place. This quote sums it up perfectly, “Our house is clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy. ~Author Unknown”. This describes our house to a tee right now and I’m okay with that!







Great post, Jenna! I can relate to it all TOO well...I'm am (was) a neat freak before M...and I asked for a new vacuum for my birthday earlier this year. I still pick up and organize all her toys each night...but I agree...kids learn best making messes and exploring their world! And, if given the choice, spending time with M is worth a slightly more untidy house. :) Also, M loves Wheel of Fortune, too!
ReplyDelete