Thursday, February 10, 2011

Happy Birthday Wynn

Wynn’s entrance into this world was such a whirlwind that it still feels so surreal to us! The time in the hospital went by so fast. It is hard to believe that we went into the hospital on Wednesday night and come home on Saturday morning with a baby!

On Wednesday afternoon we had a doctor’s appointment at 11:30 am. Afterwards Adam and I went to Chipotle for lunch. I started getting some crampy feelings and decided to head home and rest instead of going back to work.

Around 5 pm or so I was doing some stuff around the house and felt a few stronger contractions. At 5:30 pm I called Adam and asked him to come home from the office because they were getting closer together!

For the next hour or so we timed the contractions and when they were 5 minutes apart and lasting 1 minute consistently we called the hospital. Since I was a first time mom, they said it was up to us to decide whether or not we wanted to wait a little more at home or come in. While we were talking about it I felt my water break!

By the time we got the last minute things loaded up into the car and drove to the hospital it was 8 pm. We were admitted and got settled into our delivery room. My contractions weren’t all that terrible and I took solace in the fact that they would come to an end and give me a few minutes break! Adam was a great help in timing them and letting me know when they were getting close to ending.

Around 11 pm I was dialated to 6 cm and decided that I wanted to start the epidural. After I got the epidural I was able to relax some and got a few hours of rest. Since it was the middle of the night the nurses mostly left us alone so we could try to sleep. They said they would check on me around 3 am, but by 2 am I was feeling a ton of pressure. We called the nurse in and she said right away that I was more than ready to push!

The doctor came in and about a half hour later we had a baby in our arms! It is hard to describe those first moments, but they were truly amazing. My favorite moment by far was when they brought him back to me after he had his measurements for some skin to skin contact. He was snuggled so close and so peaceful, it is something I will never ever forget.

 I actually really loved delivering in the middle of the night. We had the lights dimmed low and there was so little commotion with only Adam, the nurse, the doctor and me in the room. Our nurse and doctor were just absolutely wonderful too and kept it all very calm!














































He is truly his fathers son as we watched Duke beat Maryland during the first few hours of labor! We had turned on the iPod when we were ready to push and the song that was playing when he was born was Scenes From an Italian Restaurant by Billy Joel! Adam was such an amazing support during the whole process. I could not have done it without him and I know we will treasure the moments we shared with the birth of our son.



We had a few hours to ourselves to spend being amazed by our new little miracle. After that we had some very excited grandparents, uncles and family that wanted to meet Wynn! He is so lucky to be so loved by so many people. 

On Saturday morning we left the hospital and have been settling in at home this past week. Adam took the week off of work and we are loving being a family of three. Wynn has been a pretty easy baby so far! I promise that soon I will get back to e-mailing and phone calls!



1 comment: